"Always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you."
1 Peter 3:15 (HCSB)
The Greek word for defense used in 1 Peter 3:15 is apologia. An apologist is one who defends and gives and account for a firmly held belief.
Defend your faith and answer some of the challenging questions you have as you read through the Bible. This Holman Christian Standard study Bible features notes and insights from many leading Christian apologists.
More than one-hundred key questions and articles placed throughout the volume about faith and science prompt a rewarding study experience at every reading. Highlights of this thinking person’s edition of God’s Word include the full text of the popular HCSB translation, an introduction to each Bible book focusing on its inherent elements of apologetics, and profiles of historic Christian apologists from Justin Martyr to C.S. Lewis.
Enjoy valuable contributions from leading modern apologists such as Chuck Colson, Norm Geisler, Hank Hanegraaff, Josh McDowell, Albert Mohler, Ravi Zacharias, and 90+ more contributors. Plus a special lead article from best-selling author Lee Strobel on how “How Apologetics Changed My Life.”
- Complete HCSB text
- Book introductions
- Notes on the reliability of scripture
- Over 130 articles dealing with life's toughest questions
- Twisted Scripture Notes addresses ways key Bible verses are misused
- Biographical sketches of history's greatest Christian apologists
- Time line of Christian apologists and their works
- Charts detailing important archaeological discoveries for Old and New Testaments
- Chart showing the validity of the New Testament compared to other ancient documents
- Charts comparing world religions and new religious movements
- 5 full-color maps
- Annotated bibliography
- Plan of Salvation
- Lined pages for notes
- Ribbon marker
The Holman Christian Standard Bible is made for Bible readers of all ages and is printed at a 7.5 reading level. Combining word-for-word and thought-for-thought translation philosophies, the HCSB is geared toward a large audience of readers. For more information on the different Bible translations, view our Bible Translation Guide.