Between 1560 and 1599, The Geneva Bible was providentially unleashed upon a dark, discouraged, downtrodden English speaking world. Just when it looked as if the Machiavellian, Divine Right kings - such as the Tudors of England - were about to drive Christendom back to the days of Caesar worship, a Bible appeared that set the stage for a Christian Reformation of life and culture the likes of which the world had never seen. By the time of the defeat of the Spanish Armada in 1588, just 28 years after the first printing of the Geneva Bible, it was already being said of the English that they were becoming a people of the Book. The results of a people reading and obeying the Word of God were the explosion of faith, character, the first missionary movement in history, literature, economic blessing, and political and religious freedom.
The Pilgrims brought the 1599 Geneva Bible with them when they arrived in the New World in 1620. All but forgotten in our day, this version of the Bible was the most widely read and influential English Bible of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. A superb translation, the 1599 Geneva Bible was the product of the best Protestant scholars of the day and became the Bible of choice for many of the greatest writers and thinkers of that time.
Men such as William Shakespeare, John Bunyan, and John Milton used the Geneva Bible in their writings. William Bradford also cited the Geneva Bible in his famous book Of Plymouth Plantation. The Geneva Bible is unique among all other Bibles. It was the first Bible to use chapters and numbered verses and became the most popular version of its time because of the extensive marginal notes. These more than 300,000 notes were included to explain and interpret the scriptures for the common people. Tolle Lege Press has partnered with White Hall Press to release of a beautiful new edition of the historic 1599 Geneva Bible - the 2010 Patriot's Edition! The Patriot's Edition of the 1599 Geneva Bible is the same Scripture, word for word, that the Pilgrims brought to America nearly 400 years ago.
This new edition, however, features:
* A prayer by George Washington, which begins... O eternal and everlasting God, i presume to present myself this morning before thy divine majesty, beseeching thee to accept of my humble and hearty thanks, that it hath pleased thy great goodness to keep and preserve me the night past from all the dangers poor mortals are subject to, and has given me sweet and pleasant sleep, whereby i find my body refreshed and comforted for performing the duties of this day, in which i beseech thee to defend me from all perils of body and soul...
* The following historical documents, which are based upon Biblical principles:
* The Magna Carta
* The Mayflower Compact
* The Declaration of Independence
* The Articles of Confederation
* The Constitution of the United States
* Amendments to the U.S. Constitution
* Rules of Civility & Decent Behavior
* Word-for-word accuracy with the 1599 Geneva Bible
* Original cross references
* Modern spelling
* Original study notes by Reformers
* Old English Glossary
* Easy-to-read standard size print (approx. 11pt)
* Size: 6.5 x 9.5
* Approx: 1,400 pages
|Portion||Complete Without Apocrypha|
|Bible Version||Other English|
Mardel guidelines for writing a review
Reviews submitted to Mardel.com are moderated. Acceptable review will appear on the site in 3-5 days. Thank you