Jon Acuff, the New York Times bestselling author of Quitter and Start, delivers a definitive guide to getting your dream job.
When you don't like your job it brings problems into other aspects of life. Sunday isn't really a weekend day, it's just pre-Monday. What would happen if you could call a Do Over and actually look forward to Monday?
Beginning with the first day you got paid to flip burgers or restock shelves, you've had the opportunity to develop the four elements all great careers have in common: relationship skills, character, and hustle. You already have each of those, to one degree or another.
Now it's time to amplify those elements in a new way, so you can call a Do Over on your career, at any age. You'll need a Do Over in the face of one of these major transitions:
- You’ll hit a Career Ceiling and get stuck, requiring sharp skills to free yourself.
- You’ll experience a Career Bump and unexpectedly lose your job, requiring strong relationships to survive.
- You’ll make a Career Jump to a new role, requiring solid character to push through uncertainty and chaos.
- You’ll get a surprise Career Opportunity, requiring dedicated hustle to take advantage of it.
Jon Acuff's approach will provide the resources to reinvent your work, get unstuck, and get the job you've always wanted!
- The Career Savings Account
- Do This First
Investment 1: Relationships
- You Don't Know Who You Know
- Give Your Foes What They Need Most
- Casual Counts
- Great Careers Take Great Advocates
- Don't Burn Many Bridges
- Community Shines Brightest in the Darkness of a Career Bump
Investment 2: Skills
- You Have More Skills Than You Think
- Master the Invisible Skills
- Never Become a Dinosaur
- Win the Way You Won Before
- Kick-Start Your New Skills with Something Fun
- Skills Get Sharp Slowly and Dull Quickly
- Grab the Right Kind of Hammer for Your Career Ceiling
Investment 3: Character
- Plant an Orchard
- Generosity Is a Game Changer
- Empathy, No Longer Just for People Who Like to Cry with Friends
- Be Present
- Never Jump Without Character
Investment 4: Hustle
- Grit Is a Choice, Not a Feeling
- Hustle Has Seasons: Use Awareness to Recognize Them
- Career Yoga
- Always Use This to Multiply the Moment
- Three Final Words You'll Tell Me Someday Soon