Many Christian parents are given loads of advice and plans and programs for how to be a great parent. In parenting eight kids over the last twenty-five years, Julie Lyles Carr and her husband endured plenty of opportunity for learning, but it was when they began to comprehend it was about parenting each child according to their own unique needs and personality style that something amazing happened.
In Raising an Original, Carr helps to redefine the primary purpose of Christian parenting, this raising of the next generation. God has given each of our children specific gifts, abilities and capacities for specific purposes and He can equip parents to discover and support those powerful personality traits if they know where to look and how to respond. So many kids raised in Christian homes launch into their adult lives without any sense of knowing who they are called to be or what their mission on earth is. What if parents, teachers or mentors could help them discover the wondrous, unique threads woven within them that will enable them to see their part in the fabric of God’s universe?
Readers of Raising an Original will be equipped to help their children:
- Understand their unique strengths and the challenges associated with them
- Discover their God-given gifts and how to use them for His glory
- Succeed regardless of their circumstances
Raising an Original will offer with tools for better communication with your children as well as tools for uniquely guiding and disciplining each unique child. With a helpful and detailed Personality Trait Assessment Tool included as a major part of the book, understand yourself, your parenting style, and your child better. Discover ways to improve your children’s communication within sibling groups and with parents themselves.
Find freedom in discovering that God hasn’t asked you to raise perfect children; He’s asked you to uniquely raise purposed children.
Part 1: The Weaving of an Original Life: Beautiful, Curious Threads
- Someone Original to Raise
- The Original Mission
Part 2: The Ties That Tangle: Avoiding Parenting Pitfalls
- It's Not Just about Finding Them That Job
- It's Not Just about Getting Them That Degree
- It's Not Just about Protecting Them
- And It's Not about You
Part 3: Tools for the Trade: Raising an Original Personality Evaluation Summary
- Learning the ROPES--Discovering Your Child's Personality Style
- Practicing the ROPES--Nurturing Your Child's Original Style
Part 4: Living Original
- On Overload Mode--Evaluating the Extracurricular
- Purposed, Not Perfect
- Originals Given Back to the Originator
Part 5: The Launch
- An Original Legacy