The epistles of John are packed with practical wisdom for the Christian life. John wanted his audience to grasp that growth in a relationship with God should result in growth in love for one another and in obedience to God's commands.
Over the course of 12 weeks, this study will help readers see what it looks like to truly love and follow Jesus in a world that is passing away with its desires, a transformed live that comes through knowing the love of God in Jesus Christ.
The Knowing the Bible series is a resource designed to help Bible readers better understand and apply God’s Word. These 12-week studies guide participants through books of the Bible and are made up of four basic components:
(1) reflection questions help readers engage the text at a deeper level;
(2) “Gospel Glimpses” highlight the gospel of grace throughout the book;
(3) “Whole-Bible Connections” show how any given passage connects to the Bible’s overarching story of redemption, culminating in Christ;
(4) “Theological Soundings” identify how historic orthodox doctrines are taught or reinforced throughout Scripture.
With contributions from an assortment of influential pastors and church leaders, these gospel-centered studies will help Christians see and cherish the message of God’s grace on every page of the Bible.
- Week 1: Overview
- Week 2: This is the Message (1 John 1:1–2:11)
- Week 3: Do Not Love the World (1 John 2:12-17)
- Week 4: Abide in Him (1 John 2:18–3:10)
- Week 5: Love One Another (1 John 3:11–4:6)
- Week 6: Love One Another, continued (1 John 4:7–21)
- Week 7: Children of God (1 John 5:1–12)
- Week 8: That You May Know (1 John 5:13–21)
- Week 9: Cover Letter to the Congregation, part 1 (2 John 1–6)
- Week 10: Cover Letter to the Congregation, part 2 (2 John 7–13)