John's gospel account is perhaps the most theologically and philosophically rich account of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. John reveals the cosmic identity of Jesus as being with the Father in the beginning and recounts the many miraculous signs proving his mission and divinity. This guide will encourage you to worship Christ as Lord and to follow him on mission in the world.
The Knowing the Bible series is a resource designed to help Bible readers better understand and apply God’s Word. These 12-week studies guide participants through books of the Bible and are made up of four basic components:
(1) reflection questions help readers engage the text at a deeper level;
(2) “Gospel Glimpses” highlight the gospel of grace throughout the book;
(3) “Whole-Bible Connections” show how any given passage connects to the Bible’s overarching story of redemption, culminating in Christ;
(4) “Theological Soundings” identify how historic orthodox doctrines are taught or reinforced throughout Scripture.
With contributions from an assortment of influential pastors and church leaders, these gospel-centered studies will help Christians see and cherish the message of God’s grace on every page of the Bible.
- Prologue: The Incarnate Word (1:1–18)
- John the Baptist and the Start of Jesus’ Ministry (1:19–2:11)
- Jesus’ Expanding Ministry (2:12–4:54)
- More Signs amid Mounting Jewish Opposition (5:1–10:42)
- The Final Passover: The Ultimate Sign (11:1–12:19)
- The Messiah’s Death at Hand (12:20–50)
- Jesus’ Final Teaching and Prayer (13:1–17:26)
- Jesus’ Arrest, Trial, Death, and Burial (18:1–19:42)
- Jesus’ Resurrection and Appearances (20:1–29)
- Purpose Statement and Epilogue (20:30–21:25)
- Summary and Conclusion