Journalist and baseball enthusiast Ed Henry digs into his research and uncovers a hidden story of faith and divine intervention that set the backdrop for the Jackie Robinson story we all know today.
Borrowing from recently discovered sermons, interviews with Robinson's family and friends, and an unpublished book from the sports star, Henry reveals a side of Jackie Robinson's humanity that not everyone has had a chance to see yet.
Branch Rickey, the celebrated owner who risked everything to sign Jackie to his first contract, was more complex than other historical renderings have portrayed. He struggled with the decision to sign Jackie, and was predominately influenced from a meeting he had with a trustworthy minister.
42 Faith captures several baseball stories that will intrigue fans while also digging deep into the Jackie Robinson saga. Discover what drove him and challenged him past his retirement. Witness the unfolding story of a man and his faith from his early years before baseball, to his time with Rickey and the Dodgers, to his failing health in the final years.
- "I'm Taking a Chance Here"
- Jackie in Winter
- Rickey Had a Secret
- Jackie on a Train
- "God Will Have to Keep His Eye on You"
- "I Resolved Not to Be a Doormat"
- Branch Finds God
- Jackie Meets Mr. Rickey
- No Doubting Thomas
- "All Heaven Will Rejoice"
- The Conversion of Clay Hopper
- No Sleep Till Brooklyn
- "Goose Pimples" at Ebbets Field
- Prayers for Jackie
- Uneasy Alliance with Campy
- Losing Rickey
- "The Giants Win the Pennant!"
- "How Do You Like That Garbage?!"
- Robinson Traded to the... Giants?"
- Their Belief in God's Spirit
- "My Son Deserved Better"
- "Carl, I Pray for You Every Day"
- The Last Hurrah