The Bible teaches that we are to be filled with God's Spirit and that His presence and grace is manifested in His people as they serve, love, and minister to one another. However, some of the gifts outlined in Scripture are not commonly seen in many churches today. Gifts of prophecy, healing, tongues, and other supernatural gifts of God seem to be absent, and many Christians are unsure how to cultivate an atmosphere where God's Spirit can work while remaining committed to the foundational truth of God's Word.
How can Christians pursue and implement the miraculous gifts of the Spirit without falling into fanatical excess and splitting the church in the process? In Practicing the Power, pastor and author Sam Storms offers practical steps to understanding and exercising spiritual gifts in a way that remains grounded in the word and centered in the gospel.
With examples drawn from his forty years of ministry as a pastor and teachers, Storms offers a guidebook that can help pastors, elders, and church members understand what changes are needed to see God move in supernatural power and to guard against excess and abuse of the spiritual gifts. If you long to see God's Spirit move in your church and life, and aren't sure why that isn't happening or where to begin, this book is for you.
- Welcome to the World of the Spirit
- Earnestly Desire Spiritual Gifts
- The Non-Negotiable Necessity of Praying
- Fasting for Power
- Practicing the Power of Healing
- Identifying Prophecy in the Local Church
- A Paradigm for Prophetic Practice
- Principles for Prophecy Today
- User-Friendly Deliverance
- Do Not Quench the Spirit!
- Manipulation or Ministry?
- The Importance of Worshiping in the Spirit