Parenting teenagers is one of the greatest challenges and fears for most parents. New realities we are facing makes growing from adolescence to independence even more difficult. Today's teens are traveling a different path and pace than previous generations. Today's cultural environment is vastly more complicated and confusing than ever.
Family expert Jim Burns provides this handy guide for parenting teens. In order for teens to become responsible adults, parents need to help them grow through developmental changes to attain a healthy self-identity, establish good relationships, make wise decisions, and grow in their relationship with God. Burns teaches how parents can shape behavior and character, navigate social media obstacles, and communicate and resolve conflict in a healthy manner. He also confronts the challenges of our day, including cyberbullying, dating violence, self-injury, depression, and much more.
Whether you are facing real troubles or just need simple tips for improving family life, this book offers help and hope.
Part One: Parenting Teens to Become Responsible Adults
- Understanding Your Teenager
- Learning the Developmental Stages of Adolescence
- Shaping Behavior without Crushing Character
- Energizing Your Teen's Spiritual Life
- Creating a Media-Safe Home
- Teaching Healthy Sexuality
- Ending the Homework Hassle While Preparing for College
- Keeping the Communication Lines Open
- Becoming Students of the Changing Culture
- Finding Intimacy in Your Marriage as You Raise Your Teen
- Dealing with a Troubled Teen
Part Two: Common Teen Issues and What Parents Can Do
- Bullying and Cyberbullying
- Dating Violence
- Drug and Alcohol Use and Abuse
- Eating Disorders
- Overweight and Obesity
- Sexual Abuse