No parent wants to see their child in pain, but you can navigate even the most negative events with less drama, more resilience, and a positive attitude.
Life isn't always as predictable or safe as we may want it to be, and today's kids live in an increasingly unstable world. We are constantly bombarded with headlines highlighting school shootings, bullying, and ethnic violence. Add peer pressure, friendship betrayals, insults on social media, and being stuck in the middle of a disastrous divorce to the list challenges children face and it's no wonder kids of all ages are facing significant trauma.
In When Your Kid Is Hurting, internationally known psychologist and New York Times bestselling author Dr. Kevin Leman provides practical, time-tested strategies to best help hurting kids, including:
- What to say (and not say) when bad things happen
- How to get a hurting kid to talk to you
- When to intervene and when to let your child problem-solve
- How to turn trauma into teachable moments rather than fostering a victim mentality
- Understanding the three greatest fears every kid has . . . and the biggest antidotes
- How being proactive can turn difficult situations around and provide future protection
- Why the words you choose to use with your child are critical to their recovery
You can help your child recover after being knocked down. When Your Kid Is Hurting will help you not only be your child's best advocate in a healthy way, but also reveal secrets for strengthening your lifelong relationship.
- "Out There" Issues
- When Hurt Hits Home
- The Three Basic Fears and Their Antidotes
- Why Grief Serves a Purpose
- Getting Behind Your Child's Eyes
- What Parents Do Wrong and Right
- Playing the Game of Life Smart