Is religion's decline in the modern world merely a myth?
Christianity is the most widespread global belief system, and promises to remain well into the future. For many educated westerners, biblical Christianity is a dangerous idea that challenges many deeply held beliefs.
Confronting Christianity explores 12 questions that keep many of us from considering faith in Christ by using top-notch research, personal stories, and careful biblical study. McLaughlin argues that if you look more closely, the reality of suffering, the complexity of sexuality, the desire for diversity, the success of science, and other seeming roadblocks to faith become signposts. Jesus is not just a relic from the ancient world, but our contemporary world's greatest hope.
- Aren’t we better off without religion?
- Doesn’t Christianity crush diversity?
- How can you say there is only one true faith?
- Doesn’t religion hinder morality?
- Doesn’t religion cause violence?
- How can you take the Bible literally?
- Hasn’t science disproved Christianity?
- Doesn’t Christianity denigrate women?
- Isn’t Christianity homophobic?
- Doesn’t the Bible condone slavery?
- How could a loving God allow so much suffering?
- How could a loving God send people to hell?