The ultimate Bible reference tool just got better!
For twenty-five years the Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary has been the go-to Bible reference resource for lay Bible students, teachers, pastors, academic courses, and libraries. Those who have used it have praised its comprehensiveness, conciseness, and clarity. More than 6,500 articles from AARON to ZUZITE are written to equip the reader for greater competence in understanding and interpreting the Scriptures. Each article begins with a concise definition followed by a thorough development of the topic. Some 700 full-color photos, maps, reconstructions, and charts enrich the experience of those who use the Dictionary for personal study, academic work, and preparation for teaching and preaching the Bible.
Contemporary Bible readers are separated from the original documents by 2,000 to 3,500 years. Bridging this chasm requires linguistic, literary, geographical, historical, and cultural information that the Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary provides. This third edition of the Dictionary makes available up-to-date archaeological information that illuminates the biblical text.
Completely revised, updated, and expanded, featuring:
- Exhaustive definitions of people, places, objects, events--dealing with every subject in the Bible.
- Extensive articles on major themes woven throughout Scripture and on the geographical, ecological historical, and cultural influences that illuminate the biblical text.
- Over 700 full-color photos, illustrations, and charts.
- Unique scale drawings and reconstructions of biblical places and objects based on careful archaeological research.
- Pronunciation guide for all proper nouns and other hard-to-pronounce words.
- Up-to-date archaeological information.
- Time line that shows biblical history in the context of world history.
- Summary definitions at the opening of each entry that provide a quick take on that subject.
- A variety of Bible translations used including: HCSB, KJV, NKJV, NIV, RSV, NRSV, ESV, NASB, REB, NLT, and TEV.
- Extensive cross-referencing to facilitate further exploration.
- "Quicktabs"—marginal alphabetical guide for quick and easy location of information.