The Prophets of Israel, by James K. Hoffmeier
- Author: James K. Hoffmeier
In The Prophets of Israel, James K. Hoffmeier, Old Testament scholar and longtime field archaeologist, explores the biblical prophets through their ancient settings. Gain a deeper, more accurate, and comprehensive understanding through many practical components:
- Full-color photos and images of historical and cultural importance
- Focus on the geopolitical contexts of the prophets
- Clear explanations of the prophets' provoking messages
- Discussion questions for Bible students or instructor use
These features help readers better understand each text's message and make informed theological applications.
All biblical prophets, including recognizable figures like Moses and Elijah, lesser-known prophets like Hldah and Micaiah, and the New Testament prophets, ministered in distinctive cultural and historical circumstances. Hoffmeier draws on his extensive knowledge of ancient Near Easter culture, geography, political realities, and the Old Testament message to locate the prophets in their worlds.
- Introduction to the Hebrew Prophets
- "This Is What the LORD, the God of Israel, Says": Prophets in the Old Testament Who Left No Writings
- "Assyria, the Rod of My Anger": The Eighth-Century Prophets of Israel
- "Zion Shall Be Plowed Like a Field": The Eighth-Century Prophets of Judah
- "Amend Your Ways and Your Deeds": The Seventh-and Sixth-Century Prophets of Judah
- "By the Rivers of Babylon We Sat and Wept": The Prophets of the Babylonian Exile
- "When I Restore the Fortunes of Judah and Jerusalem" The Prophets of the Post-Exilic Period
- "In the Fullness of Time": Prophets and Prophesy in the New Testament
Item not available in Mardel Stores.
Check your local store for availability.